Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Tools



So while working yesterday I began to reflect as all artist do on my tools and materials. Yesterday I was ironing cloth for a project, and I thought about the new ironing board cover that I have it was new when it came to the studio and I do enjoy it, it is bright and cheerful, but it is the actual ironing board that I use that is under all the layers of covers and to most people looks like a plain old ironing board. The ironing board was my grandmothers, and the idea of having her ironing board that saw hours and hours of ironing now in me studio getting the same daily use, it made me smile and think about the new and old in the tools I have. I for instance could not live without my new iron, it shuts itself off, which is a good thing for me the sometimes forgetful one. I can lose track of time and all of my responsibilities while in the studio. So an iron that shuts itself off is a good thing. So here are some of the photos I took while ironing yesterday, I am constantly taking photos while I work. 


I am also someone who wants to see my materials. I am including some photos of my yarns and threads in my space. It makes me happy every morning to come into my space and see all of the colors and textures of yarn. I can dream up my next project while weaving as the loom is right next to the yarn.





So do you have a favorite tool that you use everyday? An object that you appreciate and use everyday, I am trying to slow down and appreciate these things and notice them I encourage you to do so as well. I will continue to share objects and tools with you that I use and appreciate daily. 

1 comment:

  1. Nicole,
    Congrats on setting up your blog. Saw the link on facebook. I like my iron to NOT shut off which is a good thing for me -- up until I burned my arm a week ago reaching for something above the iron! OUCH! I have my mom's well used wood ironing board too, but it is too rickety and small to use. Look forward to following your blog. Come and see mine too!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete